Saturday, September 11, 2010

A sad day in New York City but decided to make it a productive day. Just finished an inspiring and thought provoking rehearsal with Susan Pilar. We did some sensational work on the piece today and I've got some great stuff to work on in the coming week. She reminded me about taking more moments to reveal the inner Jane, being more selfish for her sake as it were. These are thoughts I have not allowed myself to have. In the beginning you're always so worried about losing the line. Then you are cowed by the fact you are uttering such famous words. I have to remind myself that the audience is seeing this for the first time, that they don't know the conventions and that I can take my time! What joy there is in this - creating life on stage. Being reminded of that again. Husband and baby did fine without me as I knew they would but I missed them. "I cannot determine what to do about my new gown; I wish such things were to be bought ready-made." Jane Austen in a letter to Cassandra, 24-6 December 1798.

No comments: