Wednesday, September 27, 2006

22 and 23 September, Friday and Saturday, last full days in London. After writing my blog we toured the Theatre Museum which has an overwhelming collection of costumes, papers and memorabilia. The exhibit on the Redgraves was mind-blowing and exciting to see. I have always referred to the Redgraves as Theatre Royalty and when you uncover their lineage this is an understatement! I'm a fan. Besides the special exhibits, the Theatre Museum has an actual copy of the Patent given to Killigrew for the Kings Company of Players by Charles II. The sad thing is, and everyone ought to know this, the Theatre Museum is closing in January and the facility is being taken over by the Opera. The Museum itself is relocating but if you have a chance to visit it before January, I would say run don't walk! That night, we had a celebratory dinner at a lovely restaurant called Mon Plaisir near the museum. Saturday held two highlights; the play "A Voyage Round My Father" by John Mortimer with Sir Derek Jacobi and eating at Rules, the oldest restaurant in London - 1798! Another Donmar Warehouse production, this team can do no wrong. The show is a journey, a young man's relationship with his eccentric, blind, barrister father. The minutia of the garden became the universal - this was a story everyone who has had a father could relate to. Besides riveting performances by Sir Derek and Joanna David as the mother, Dominic Rowan delivered a most compelling, heartfelt turn as the son. Dinner that night at Rules - we had grouse, cabbage, potatoes, toffee pudding. The grouse - the feet were still there and they had feathers on them! I felt I was having my complete 18th century experience. The meat is very smoky and unlike anything I've ever tasted. Dame Diana Rigg came into the restaurant with a gentleman holding a huge bouquet of white roses and all went up to a private room. I felt like throwing myself at her feet and telling her that her performance as Media changed my life and we love all her Avengers episodes as well! But no such luck in sighting her on our way out! Sunday morning found us hurrying to the Victoria Station and the Gatewick Express.

No comments: