Sunday, September 26, 2010

Where did the week go? We are at the airport. Show was yesterday, we sold out! Every joke landed. Very gratifying. Lots of questions after the show. Amy should be glad, people gasped at end when I spoke with my American accent. I don't know if I'll get any kind of review but I was very happy with how the show went. And I was nervous beforehand. The Wessex Suite was a lovely venue. The platform ended up working better than I expected. The people were responsive, laughed alot. Expect the unexpected. Many were in costume and I loved that. Acoustics mediocre but not as difficult as the library - those books absorb sound. Our little one came in for part of the show, she watched for a while, Mummy very distracted but stayed on course. Tech started at 12 noon. Jackie had everyone in place. Worked thru lights and sound and with folks playing my family. Everyone was happy to be there and in the mood to have fun. Once finished with all that, there was another show at the venue. I went downstairs, slowly applied make-up, wig, put on jewelry and started running the show full tilt. My voice finally seemed warmed up and I got thru most of the play before it was time to go upstairs again at 3:15. Ran Miss Bates several times over, as I got confused the first few times. But glad I stayed with it because the pay off came in the performance where I stayed straight on course. Around 4:00 I went downstairs again to do final prep, write some thank you's, suck on cough drops. Then up again at 4:25 as they were getting the last few audience in. You enter and you are terrified. Heart pumping. Will they be cross with me or go with me. You ride it out. Intake of breath, terrified look, sudden smile, everyone laughs. I think they'll go with me. Next joke coming up, "Fanny and I are just back from London, I was hardly there a minute before I could feel my morals declining." Big laugh, I've got them. Tense during the Pride and Prejudice sequence, aware everyone knows it. Susan and Amy admonishing me to go slower here paid off. Just trusted the words, welcomed the audience in the world. After P & P, things got easier because I trust more. Fun with Northanger Abbey, Henry and Eliza, Lady Susan. Wandered into audience after Tom Lefroy for the Three Sisters section. Jane's language in that is great. Miss Bates was hysterical, warm responses from everyone. Ann says I'm a clown. I love playing comedy. Who knows if I'll get to do this again? But much joy experienced in making people laugh. I must continue somehow. Don't know if anyone reads these posts, but they are fun to write.

No comments: